What is Laser Inscription?
Diamond Laser Inscription is a process of using a very fine precise laser beam to inscribe a Diamond Grading Report Number on the diamond girdle for purposes of identification. The laser inscription is microscopic and totally invisible to the naked eye. It can only be seen with jewelers’ 10x magnifying loupe. Laser inscription will never chip or fracture a diamond, because the “cold laser process” (using a short wave length, the very deep-blue part of the spectrum of light-waves) produces no thermal effect on the inscribed gem. It enables the system to have great control over laser depth, sharpness and micron marking. Laser inscription does not change the color grade or clarity grade of a diamond. A personal customized message is another use of Laser Inscription Technology.
Laser Inscription Advantages:
- Identity This unique number provides added security when you take your diamond ring for repairs or cleaning. The Laser Inscription allows you to easily identify your diamond upon its return.
- Peace of Mind You will feel secure in knowing no one can switch your diamond, whether on purpose or by accident. Nothing protects your investment better than the ability to identify your diamond without fail.
- Personal Memento You can engrave special messages, dates or short sayings. A Laser Inscription acts as the perfect, private, permanent memento of the special event.
- Insurance Savings Insurance companies appreciate the added security measure a Laser Inscription provides and recognize that a Laser Inscribed Diamond usually has a Diamond Grading Report helping identify exact diamond quality in event of loss.
- Inscription Removal The inscription is considered permanent but can be removed by a diamond polisher without any change to diamond quality or carat weight.
Which diamonds come with Laser Inscriptions?
GIA issues two types of Diamond Reports:
- GIA Diamond Grading Report – Laser Inscription must be requested.
- GIA Diamond Dossier – This report provides the same information as the GIA Diamond Grading Report, except for the plotting diagram. The micro-laser inscription of the diamond’s unique GIA Report Number is included for each diamond receiving a dossier at no additional charge.
Adding Laser Inscription to My Diamond
To obtain a Laser Inscription on a diamond you currently own, request laser inscription services through a local fine jewelry retailer. Retail jewelers are familiar with the care and handling of diamonds and jewelry and are equipped to facilitate service arrangements.
Do you have a cool inscription on your diamond? What does it say? Comment below!
This article was contributed by Frank Fisher.