Often times in an industry we know every little about, we have no starting point or reference point of what questions to ask or where to begin. Before you make a diamond purchase here are some important questions you should consider asking.
10 Key Diamond Grading Questions
- May I see The Diamond Grading Report for this diamond?
- The Diamond we are looking at is a “G” color. Can I see a diamond next to it that has an “F” Color or “H” color so I can see the difference? Make sure both diamonds have Diamond Grading Reports!
- Can we view the diamonds on a white paper so we can properly judge for color?
- What are the cutting Percentages Table, Depth Ect?
- Are the percentages within the acceptable ranges?
- What does the girdle look like? Is it Polished?
- What is the Cut Grade?
- What is the Polish Grade?
- What is Symmetry Grade?
- What is the Clarity Grade?
10 Key Ring Setting Questions
- Do you recommend 4 prongs or more prongs?
- White gold or yellow gold mounting or platinum and why?
- Should engagement ring have side diamonds?
- If so, what quality should the side diamond be?
- Do you have pictures of mountings as I do not see anything in your inventory I like?
- Do you carry a designer line?
- How do you size a ring?
- How long does it take to complete the ring once the diamond and mounting are selected?
- What is your guarantee on the mounting workmanship?
- Where is the manufacturing process completed?
10 Key Jeweler Questions
- Which Diamond Grading Laboratory do you prefer?
- What shape diamond do you recommend?
- What is your opinion on Fluorescence?
- What size diamond do you recommend knowing my budget?
- Why should I do business with you?
- What is your trade-in policy?
- What industry associations do you belong to?
- Are you a Graduate Gemologist (GG)?
- Do you buy directly dealing with the diamond cutters?
- Are your diamonds compliant with the Kimberly Process?
This is just a baseline to start with when discussing and purchasing a diamond or an engagement ring. I give many more questions in my book – The Round Diamond Buying Guide. If you have additional questions to share or contribute, feel free to comment below!
This article was contributed by Frank Fisher.